Part One: Street Smarts
In the first part of the book, you will be exposed to several secrets that Obama brings with him from his personal life: the “street smarts” that transform his media messages and speeches from a collection of eloquently-formulated theoretical ideas into terms that penetrate the hearts and souls of his listeners.
1. Obama’s Story – How It All Began
2. The Secrets Behind the Magic – Three Secrets Obama Takes with Him Everywhere
3. When We Reach the Bridge – How Mediation Capability Influences People
4. Like a Ballet Dancer – How to Persuade by Using a Flexible Transition between Positions
Part Two: Obama’s Brain Power
In the second part, you will discover how Obama thinks and how his way of thinking helps him to influence and persuade. Many people whom we encountered during our work, who had acquired effective presentation skills, focused primarily on tactics and methods. But we discovered that tactics alone are not enough. Something more is required beyond tactics; something much more basic and profound that is related to our way of thinking.
5. It’s All in Your Mind – You Are What You Think
6. A Wall or a Cathedral – Obama’s Vision
7. Who Am I – Obama’s Identity
8. Yes, I Can – Obama’s Winning Personal Beliefs
9. What Really Matters – Obama’s Values
10. Awakening the Communicator Within – Fulfilling Inner Capabilities and Strategies
Part Three: Engineering Winning Messages
In the third part, you will become acquainted with Obama’s “message engineering.” You will be provided with a simple implementation toolkit that will enable you to improve the way you convey your messages in all areas. You will discover that what seems a light-hearted performance by Obama is, in fact, a well-timed musical composition in which various and diverse instruments are played, each of which possesses vast power.
You will see how Obama writes his speeches and discover what he does to join the ranks of charismatic speakers such as Martin Luther King Jr., Winston Churchill, John F. Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, and Bill Clinton, and business leaders such as Steve Jobs, Harvey Mackay, Jack Welch, Stephen Covey, Mark Victor Hansen, and Ken Blanchard.
11. The Core Messages – How to Use and Instill Optimistic Messages
12. The Winning Topics – How to Speak about What Motivates People
13. True, It’s Difficult – How to Handle Potential Objections
14. It’s Simple – How to Make Complex Messages Clear and Catchy
15. You Can Be a Star – How to Speak on Stage with Confidence, like Obama
16. Uhh, Uhhmm… – The Secret of Quiet Charisma
Part Four: The Magic of Intimate Communication
In the fourth part, you will discover how Obama makes people fall in love with him and become enthralled by his messages, and you will get to know how he activates these secrets of infatuation. He creates human chemistry and intimate closeness with a heterogeneous audience, which sometimes consists of tens of thousands of people.
17. A Love Story – How to Create an Intimate Relationship When You Communicate
18. Dance with Them – How to Connect and Stimulate Action by Using the “Pacing and Leading” Technique
19. Inspire People like a Personal Coach – How to Compliment, Empower, and Conquer Audiences
20. The Power of Humor – How to Laugh at Your Own Weaknesses and Win
Part Five: The Power of the Mind in Communication
In the fifth part, you will be provided with effective tools to communicate with the “right brain” and the subconscious mind of your listeners. This is a very important part because it presents the power of stories and metaphors of which many of the executives and politicians we have trained were unaware. You will be exposed to the naturalness with which the mind absorbs stories and metaphors, and the way in which they directly penetrate the subconscious. After that, you will see how Obama uses “thought programs” to “program” the audience’s mind and “glue” messages thereto.
21. Under the Radar – How to Penetrate Your Audience’s Right Brain with Power Stories
22. Don’t Say It, Paint It! – How to Make Messages Stick with Simple Metaphors
23. The Mind as a Super Computer – How to Connect to the Thinking Strategies of Your Audience
Part Six: Linguistic Patterns Tool Box
In the sixth part, you will learn how Obama uses effective linguistic patterns to convey messages. Here, too, you will be provided a very useful toolbox, with emphasis not only on the tools themselves but also the reasons why these tools are effective.
24. Why Does It Work? – How to Ask Questions and Lead to the Desired Direction
25. 1,2,3 – How to Exploit the Mind’s Preference for the Magic Number 3
26. Repetition, Repetition, Repetition – How to Help Your Target Internalize Your Key Messages
27. Black and White – How to Use Contrasts to Emphasize Key Messages
28. Kennedy Said – How to Influence by Using Great People Quotes
29. Verbal Aikido – How to Exploit the Opponent’s Momentum and Verbally Subdue Him
30. Who Said It? – Hand in Hand with the Subconscious
Part Seven: The Magic of Nonverbal Communication
The last part focuses on the power of nonverbal communication, which is an integral part of any interpersonal communication.
31. Without Words – How to Use Movements, Gestures, and Empowering Body Language
32. All the World Is a Stage – How to Use the Surroundings, the Setting, and Props to Empower Your Messages
33. Voice Power – How to Thrill and Influence an Audience by Varying Voice Tones